Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Welcome to the Republic of Bananada

So it's come to this. I was treated to this slogan on my way in this morning. "Support Our Troops" is a little too subtle for some people. The new slogan, as loquacious as it is anti-democratic, is "If you can't stand behind our troops we'll gladly put you in front of them". It's a slogan Chile's General Pinochet could have been proud of. In the minds of some, a lack of patriotism -- as defined by them; by others, it would be not patriotism but bloodlust and bellicosity -- is punishable by death by firing squad.

The conservative element of this country, as always, at its finest.

3 comments:

L-girl said...

I remember the first time I saw this bumpersticker in the US. I was nauseated. Quite literally. To see it in Canada... even worse.

We shouldn't call these people "conservative". What are they conserving? Militaristic, fascist, anti-democratic, but not conservative.

jim said...

I used to have a bumper sticker on my car that read, "I love my country but fear my government." I like to think it balanced out stickers like the one in your photo.

Peter said...

Well, nobody ever accused reactionaries of being intelligent...
Jim, does loving your country mean loving the land and the people in general or is there some kind of nationalism at play there?
The Australian Government under our previous Prime Minister, John Howard was very quick to pander to nationalistic aspirations of our public. That's not unusual of governments.
Not sure what point I'm trying to make...
Oh yeah: I fear government too but I love the land and people that/who nurture me so I like your car sticker on that basis.