Sunday, May 03, 2009

Ellesmere Road 1952-2009


Ellesmere Road 1952-2009, originally uploaded by Lone Primate.

I was honestly slack-jawed when I saw the upper photo on the Toronto Public Library's website. If you're not familiar with Toronto, you probably won't think much of it... just a photo of a rural scene that's now urban Scarberia. But the thing is, Ellesemere Road is relatively mid-section in Toronto, and the view you see up top is the sort of thing I would have expected to see of the area from the 1920s or 1930s, not in the post-WWII boom. Not the way I imagined this part of town in the days of Leave It to Beaver.

The lower view is one I took this morning, from the same location, give or take a few yards. What was a farm fifty-some years ago is office space today, just off-screen to the left. Frankly, I'm not sure which view I prefer. They both have something to recommend them.

This one's for you, Jim. :)

1 comment:

Jim Grey said...

This is incredible! I'm with you -- I'd've pegged the Before shot as 1920, not 195x.