Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye... again

I've had a copy of The Catcher in the Rye for about twenty years, and I have never yet managed to get all the way through it, despite two or three hopeful attempts. This is a classic, and I want to enjoy it, achieve it, appreciate it. I even already know what it's about; who doesn't?

Anyway, I've finished reading my current book, so I spotted it on the way out the door this morning and thought, what the hell. I started reading it at lunch; I'm about a dozen pages in and already it's faintly wearying. Holden Caulfield cannot finish a thought without going off on a tangent. It's funny when, say, Bill Cosby does it, but he does it because he has a point. Holden just comes across as distracted and I wanna say, "Yeah, but before the girl with the fake boobs, you were on a hill, remember...?" I hope this narrative style settles down; otherwise this promises to be a chore-filled 214 pages. But I'm determined to make it this time.

Wish me luck. :)

1 comment:

barefoot hiker said...

good luck. it's a great book. once you get used to his style, i think you'll enjoy it.