Friday, September 25, 2009

And now, standing in for the role of blueberry...

I bought a blueberry jelly spread yesterday for breakfasts. It's made from blueberries, but somehow they've managed to wrangle it so it's calorie-free. Suits me; all I want is the favour on the toast.

A couple of things about it. First, one of its ingredients is "red cabbage colouring". What, the natural colour of blueberries themselves wasn't sufficiently convincing?

Secondly, the expiry date is April 28th, 2011 (today's September 25th, 2009). Should something that even the microbes won't touch for another year and a half be considered as food? I'm just askin'.

Addendum: Okay, here's the really fun part. Lately, to save time, I've been eating breakfast at work. This morning, someone opened the fridge door too fast and landed my jam on the floor. I found it on the counter with the lip of the lid cracked. Wasn't pleased, but I figured, well, it's probably good for a few days, anyway. So I made toast and used it, planning on replacing it next week...

Came back into the kitchen a few minutes ago; there's my jar on the counter again, this time with a note to the effect that: "Hi, is this your jam? Blah blah blah sorry, it fell off the door and the lid broke and came off and the jam landed upside down so it's dirty..."

Ugh. :(P

2 comments:

Jim Grey said...

I eat PB&J for breakfast every morning. I watch my sugar and went through a period where I was using the low/no-sugar varieties -- and became concerned enough about how they seemed to be such highly engineered food that I went back to the full sugar stuff. Then I realized that those are mostly made with high-fructose corn syrup, which makes me increasingly uncomfortable. So now I'm buying this more expensive stuff imported from France because it's made with regular sugar. Why does jam have to be so complicated?

Lone Primate said...

I'd love to have peanut butter around, but I can't. When I get home from work, and it's right there, right handy, ready to snuggle up with a couple of pairs of slices of bread... well, it might as well be heroin. :)