Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Rainy April

A couple of days shy of April. That's the month that houses both my birthday and Jody's. This year, I'll be 37. Jody would have been 27 five days later. What was I doing at 27? Still struggling to get established. That was the year I got my first real full-time job, computer animating at Hoffmann. Shit, has it been ten years? Apparently it has. Back then, Jody was just a teenager finishing high school, fretting about things that didn't matter, and spending time with me and DM online.

Jody really got out of the gate faster than I did. He was a really sharp programmer and it didn't take employers long to spot it. He was better off at 26, when he died, than I am now. Almost infinitely further ahead of where I was at 26, scratching at the Animation House, employed this week, laid off the next. What a nightmare. Fucken Waiting for Godot. Still, here I am, all this time later. I'm here, and he's gone. It just doesn't make sense, does it? And that's depressing all by itself. Not that I wanted the pain and suffering he had to endure. But if someone had to go, frankly... It's not self-pity, honest. My life's not bad. It's just an academic anger at the illogic of it.

The weather's finally, finally getting warming. It's been a long winter. Snowy. Never tons of it, really, but it just kept falling. It started early and fell as late as last week! I remember going for a walk without my jacket on St. Patrick's Day two years ago. But I'm looking forward to being able to get outside in sandals and shorts again, that's for sure.

Company's about to shut down AIM. Probably ICQ, too. After all these years, I'll be knocked out of touch with some of my friends during the day. Particularly Jody's dad Jim, and R-Lang. I don't know why they have to do this. It seems gratuitous. The company hasn't been hurt, that I'm aware of, in allowing it all these years.

That wasn't very interesting, was it? :) I'll try to remember to log on and record fun and interesting things. I'm not as good at it as I was last autumn.

No comments: