Thursday, July 29, 2004

When I get down, so does my bank account...

I decided I was going to head to Wal-mart at lunch time to see if I could snag Diet RC. It's pretty rare around here... in fact, I only know one place in the city where you can reliably bag the stuff, and it's way downtown in the west end. But I've acquired a taste for it, so I thought I'd have a look. Skunked.

I made the mistake of checking the other snack aisles, and I found fat-free Jell-o pudding. Four servings, 80 calories each of made with skim milk. Hmm! They had chocolate, butterscotch, vanilla, chocolate, chocolate fudge, and oh yeah, chocolate. Anyway, I grabbed five of them. At just over 20¢ a serving, you can't go wrong. And that's nearly a month's worth of desserts (okay, who am I kidding... maybe a week's worth. Maybe.) Then I'm thinking, well, what have I got to mix it with? I don't have a blender or even a whisk. Well, what could a whisk cost? So off I go...

Ten minutes later I'm in the check-out line with my pudding, a $10 one-cup coffee maker, and a $9 mixing-wand.

Well! I have my coffee maker, but no decent coffee to put in it. Well, the supermarket's just across the street, so...

Ahhh, here we go. Bavarian chocolate coffee beans! (Sensing a trend yet?) French vanilla coffee beans! A half a pound of each, at $7.99/lb. But I still don't have RC. Do they even have it here? Nope. But look at that, a cube of Diet Pepsi (my actual fave, even over sugared versions of Pepsi and Coke) is on special, a dollar off, $5.99 for 24 cans. Awright! Oh, and also... what am I gonna put my pudding in? What, am I gonna pour it out in my hand and wait for it to set? I need something cheap and plastic. Seek, and ye shall find! Eight plastic snack holders, lids and all, $2.88. What a weird price. But who's complaining? Not me.

So, forty dollars later, I have two new appliances, two-and-a-quarter US gallons of pop, a pound or so of gourmet coffee, a whack of Jell-o pudding, and stack o' bowls to put it in!

You'll notice, though, that I still don't have any Diet RC to speak of...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beware !
The slippery slope to consumer debt is paved with little purchases!
I dont want to have another BIG financial talk!
BTW how fare thee on the road to financial freedom? Still holding the course steady?

Lone Primate said...

We bare !
Can you at least tell me where to find Diet RC around here? :O

Anonymous said...

Re: We bare !
I havent seen that in ages, But i seem to remember that Blaw Blaws has it as their main brand... I could be wrong!