Sunday, September 05, 2004

Don't print in the subway, darlin'...

Friday night, I bought a laser printer. Isn't that cool? I'm printing with a LASER. A frickin' LASER. Sci-fi when I was a boy, the thing of Six Million Dollar Man fancy... and now... a laser is slave to me, spitting out my words upon the page. TREMBLE NOW AT MY FEET, MIGHTY LASER!! HAAAA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!

Okay, well, enough of that. What happened is that a friend of mine commissioned a drawing and sent me two hundred dollars US. That turns into about two fifty Canuck. I noticed at Staples they were selling a Panasonic duplexing laser printer for $249. That's not some tricky deal like you put down $350 and sooner or later we rebate you the rest, no. This was marked down from $419. Nice. I admit, I bit.

But the place where I saw it didn't have any boxed ones, just the display model. So, when I went home, I went to the Staples in my neighbourhood. Same deal. I ended up having to drive about 45 minutes out of town to a branch that had it. I dun grabbed it! That, and a $12 haircut that turns out to be not bad... maybe I'll go back. The drive was nice.

I had a little trouble getting it set up. At first, it didn't interpret drawings properly and spat them out as endless reams of ASCII characters, page after page. After a couple restrarts and an installation using the disk instead of just what Windows thought would fit the bill, it was up and running. Great stuff. I've begun sending my writing to publications, and there was no way I wanted to send them out printed in ink jet. That looks so poor. But the laser prints are sharp even if you print four pages to the page (to read over a draft, say, not to submit).

"Uh, whose laser printer is that on the filing cabinet?"

"Mine. A Panasonic auto-duplexing KX-P7105, the laser printer I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!!"

(Apologies to Annette Bening and Kevin Spacey...)

No comments: