Saturday, February 18, 2006

New Mongolian restaurant in Don Mills

I meant to blog about this place, but I just haven't had my blogging cap on lately. :)

Genghis Khan Mongolian Grill, Don Mills, Toronto

I've been going to a Mongolian place called "The Great Khan" at the Pacific Mall (northeast corner of Kennedy and Steeles) for several years now, but this is the only other Mongolian grill place I've seen open in the GTA (that I know of, anyway). It's fantastic! I think it's a joint venture with the other place, because I recognized one of the staff, and he recognized me. :)

Looking over the diners to the grill

The grill and the fixin's

The staff could not have been more attentive and helpful. One of them noticed me trying to be demure about getting a shot and invited me up to photograph the place. The food was excellent; an even wider variety than the other Mongolian BBQ place. Dinner was $18.99, but it's all you can eat, and it includes the buffet. But the star of the show is the grill. If you've never done Mongolian: you fill a bowl with the meat, vegetables, tofu, noodles, spices, sauces, and oils you want. You then pass it to one of the grill chefs who skillfully flash-fries it while you watch, then artfully skates you meal into a clean bowl. It's a great treat just to prepare a bowl and watch it grilled. But eating it is wonderful. If you're in Toronto, and anywhere near Don Mills, seek out the Genghis Khan Mongolian Grill, on the west side of Don Mills Road just a little north of Eglinton Avenue.

3 comments:

James Redekop said...

Thanks for posting this! We loved the Mongolian Grill that went out of business in London about 10 years ago, so it was great to find a new one -- and right next door to one of our other favourite places, Memories of Japan. Let's hope they do better in that spot than the last five restaurants that have been there.

Anonymous said...

Glad to be of service. :) There's another at the Pacific Mall, as I mentioned. Similar decor, so I expect they're connected somehow. Enjoy. :)

James Redekop said...

Pacific Mall is about three times as far from us as this place, so we'll stick with this one. :)

It's really nice to have a restaurant with good food where the portions aren't too large to finish.