Monday, December 10, 2007

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez?

I think it was my post a few days ago about the census with regard to Quebec that got me thinking about separatists again, and more specifically of René Lévesque. In spite of his goals, I always kind of admired him and I could never bring myself to really dislike him. There was just something about him that made it impossible, for me at least. But I started wondering, what was it that brought him to the personal realization that Canada didn't work for Quebec, that it needed to be separate? And what kind of an insight would knowing that answer give me into the hearts of minds of separatists generally? So I thought, well, he must have written his memoirs... and indeed he did, published just before he died. They've been translated into English, and so I went looking for them and found a decently-priced copy on Amazon.ca and ordered it. I'm really looking forward to reading it, and perhaps remarking on it here.

No comments: