Thursday, June 15, 2006

An open letter to Albert A. Gore, "recovering politician"

Dear Mr. Gore,

Thank you. I finally "get" global warming. I've spent 15 years as a skeptic, but your correlation between temperature and CO2 levels over 600,000 years was a solid enough demonstration of the science for me.

If I may say so, it's a pity you were elected by the people of your country, but failed by the Electoral College. I pity for us all, I think.

-LP

To everyone else... you should see An Inconvenient Truth. There were a lot of dots floating around out there and Al Gore deftly connected them for me. I see clearly now, as never before, what I only glimpsed but doubted: that our habits are demonstrably changing the climate of the planet, and that we are already seeing the consequences. The movie is worth seeing just for the coastline impacts of major metroplexes if half of Greenland and half the Antarctic ice shelf are added to our ocean levels, which now seems all but inevitable. I think you could stagger into this movie tanked to the gills and you would walk out stone-cold sober. It's that affecting. If your jaw doesn't drop at least three times watching this movie, then you're just not paying attention.

Okay, I get it now. I'm sold. If you're not, do us all a favour and check it out.

No comments: