Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Note to self

You don't have to read this if you don't want to. :) This is just me, deciding to make a note of the important dates in the process of buying a place so that I don't forget. I'm already finding the timeline kind of confusing. (Note; March 17th: items in red immediately below are erroneous; see note at end of post.)

February 28, 2011 (Monday) -- Chat with Larry where he reminds me he's moving on. (This was actually Sunday, Feb. 27.)

March 1, 2011 (Tuesday) -- Started looking at listings. (This was actually Monday, Feb. 28.)

March 2, 2011 (Wednesday) -- Contacted SC (now my real estate rep). (This was also Monday, Feb. 28. What follows is correct to the date.) Met with him, along with Larry, at Tim Horton's. Larry opts out of going in on a place. I determine to go ahead on my own.

March 3, 2011 (Thursday) -- Met with SC for first showing, a one-bedroom in the building in which I'm buying. Didn't like it (as explained elsewhere on this blog). Did sign to have SC represent me as eventual purchaser, though (standing in the kitchen of the place I didn't like!).

March 4, 2011 (Friday) -- Contacted DD to be mortgage broker on SC's advice.

March 6, 2011 (Sunday) -- Submitted mortgage application to DD.

March 9, 2011 (Wednesday) -- Informed by DD of mortgage pre-approval.

March 11, 2011 (Friday) -- Go with SC to view three properties. Impressed by first one; not really jazzed by other two.

March 12, 2011 (Saturday) -- Go with SC for second look at first property from night before. We go to one of his company's satellite offices and prepare an offer.

March 13, 2011 (Sunday) -- Seller counter-offers. I agree to price. P-Doug and I meet SC at Tim Horton's and I sign off on the agreement.

March 14, 2011 (Monday) -- I take the day off to go to my branch and withdraw $25,000 from my RRSP. I contact NW on SC's advice to act as my attorney.

March 15, 2011 (Tuesday) -- I get bank draft for $5,000 deposit; give same to SC. Mortgage papers forwarded to me by DD. Discuss same by email with NW and DD; meet DD in person at 4:15 to discuss terms and sign mortgage contract. On returning home, send requested information to DD to satisfy loan terms.

--------------------------

At this point, I'm waiting to hear about the building assessment from NW. I think that's largely it, until some time in May when the down payment has to be made, and all the closing fees have to be paid.

Closing date is slated for May 27, 2011. First mortgage payment due June 10, 2011... first of about 910. :)

So, like the song says, "hats off to Larry"... he didn't "break her heart", but I guess he got me off my ass.

--------------------------

N.B. (Thursday, March 17) Okay, see, it's important to do this because I've learned I already have it wrong. Emails I exchanged with SC on Feb. 28th, the Monday, show I was much faster out of the gate, and started looking that day. That means, too, that my chat with Larry that got things rolling happened on Sunday, Feb. 27.

No comments: