Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Here's lookin' at you, vid...

I've realized I have to see Casablanca. I've never seen the movie, but it's such an integral part of our culture that I feel a little like I didn't do some of the basic readings. Here's how derivative it is... my favourite episode of MST3K (Overdrawn At the Memory Bank) is a send-up of a movie set in the future that themes itself on Casablanca. That's, what, three, four levels deep? But I get most of the references because I've been innundated with Casablanca references my whole life. Well, I think it's way past time I rented the original and saw just what's so fascinating that it's held an entire culture's imagination for the past sixty years or so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I never "tripped" over Casablanca. I saw the movie and it just left me bored. I do like making fun of Humphrey Boggart and he is my favority trivia answer whenever I dont know the answer to an entertainment question! (anoouncer: Who was the actor who played the Japanese admiral in the movie Midway? Me: Hmmmm... Humphrey Boggart?)
In case you care a few other of my all time great snoozers: The wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. I never understood the appeal... but they make great joke fodder!