Saturday, May 11, 2013

Advances

The queen is dead. Long live the king.

I mentioned here a few days ago that in a dream I had about Bonnie, it was Seth who was sitting in the cat bed on the chair at my left elbow... but that he had never actually done this in real life.

Well, it didn't take long. Seth actually did that for the first time Thursday evening, a little over three days after Bonnie died. The second time was just a few minutes ago, now, Saturday morning. He's actually curled up comfortably in the cat bed, six inches from my left elbow, right now.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems very sudden.

But then I remind myself, it only seems unusual because in the year and a half Ally's lived here, she has hardly ever bothered with the cat beds on the chairs, and Seth, though he's sat a few times in the secondary one on occasion, never challenged Bonnie for the primary in their three months together. But Bonnie, Max, and even Twinkle all rotated positions. More often than not, Bonnie took the closest spot, but not always; I'd say Max had it about a quarter of the time without Bonnie ever picking a fight with him over it. The one spot that was sacrosanct and acknowledged inviolably Bonnie's by the all others (after Jenny died) was the pillow beside mine on the bed (and as of writing, remains so, even after her death).

I what it comes down to is that because for pretty much the past year, since Max died, the spot has been Bonnie's exclusive privilege, and seeing Seth in it now underlines that she's gone.

No comments: