Thursday, June 16, 2005

Wanna sleep in my spare room? Only one dead guy...

Man, I had the weirdest dream last night. My friend Kaid, a guy I've known for 15 years now on and off, came around with the news he was dying. Might have been cancer; I don't remember but given how Jody still dwells in my subconscious, I'd have to guess that was the cause. I remember that my home wasn't the apartment I live in now, but much of the rest was the same... me alone, two cats. Kaid, for some reason, wanted to spend time with me before he died. The weather was summery but rainy... like I remember Dallas when I was there for Jody's funeral. Kaid's health was nominally fine and he and I did some kicking around, having some fun just out doing things. Eventually whatever it was that ailed him became too much for him to cope with, and so I stayed beside him while he injected some sort of chemical to put himself to sleep. I don't know why it was Kaid, though. It would have made some sense if it had been Jody; I sometimes used to wonder if he might make such a choice if and when the pain got bad enough, but he never did. Kaid, for the record, is a healthy guy in his mid-30s, and not all in immediate mortal danger that I know of. Though he's nerdy enough that he gives even me a cool edge. On the other hand, he managed to find someone to marry. I'm just ranting now. I'll stop.

No comments: